despite all the craziness that is going on around me (like flooding, yes our poor city got flooded again quite badly… oh and packing/moving. there’s that going on also… and being pregnant. that’s not new) i have been using indoor cycling as my escape. as i mentioned in my latest WIR, indoor cycling, spinning, whatever you wanna call it, it’s my current love. not only has it kept me sane during pregnancy, but now that i am teaching the cycling classes, i have found a whole new reason (besides getting a fun workout,) to love it: MUSIC. oh yeah, i love getting a good sweat but more than that, i love sharing it with others. and i truly love seeing people get a great workout to my personal tunes. once upon a time, i wanted to be a dj, and i also thought about being a personal trainer. well for me, being an indoor cycling instructor marries these two worlds together beautifully. yeahhhhhhhhhh boy. uhhh. let’s get this party started.
scratch that last one, there is no party going on right now but i’m still excited to share my latest cycling class workout with you. before i begin i’ll go over some history:
- i started spinning in 2003 after i had back surgery in 1999 (to stay sane and in shape, and get over my fear of bicycles) and to cross train with running
- i got a bike in 2004 and started road riding, while still spinning indoors for fun
- this eventually led to triathlons, and eventually Ironman Texas 2013 & 2014 – yes i really DO blame spinning for getting me into the Ironman World of Crazy!
- i stopped cycling outdoors when i got pregnant a few months ago, and started spinning again
- got certified by Schwinn to teach power meter indoor cycling classes in Feb of this year
- got hired by 24 Hour Fitness a month later
since February, i’ve been going cray cray with the spin classes by going to as many different classes possible each week to see what the different instructors do. when i was doing serious triathlon training back in 2012-2014, i took spinning a few times a week through LifeTime Fitness. to me it’s all the same but mainly it’s the instructors that keep me coming back or wanting more. i used to love my morning classes because the music was good. when i’d try other classes with different music, i sometimes felt disappointed. it always made me want to teach my own class so i could have own music. *yes, i realize that not everyone will like my music either but that’s ok! it’s all about the energy.
now that i’ve got some classes under my belt and sampled a butt-load of other teacher’s classes, i’ve come up with my own framework that i love.
i love my classes to go something like this:
- speed work
- hill climb
- speed work
- hill climb
- speed work
- isolation work/core
- cool down
My playlist from this week was:
- Sound of Now/Avicii – Warmup
- Born this Way/Lady Gaga – Interval
- Alive/Krewella – Speed/sprints
- Left Right/Chemical Brothers – Hill
- Safe and Sound (cash remix)/Capital Cities – Intervals
- The Drift/Blackmill – Hill
- Somebody that I used to Know/Tiesto remix/Gotye – Intervals
- Blow/Kesha – Intervals
- RESPECT/Club Edit/RLP Barbara Tucker – speed, sprints
- Turn Down for What/DJ Snake and Lil Jon – isolations and core
- Everyday I’m Hustlin/Vladss – hill
- Sandstorm/Darude – Sprint
- Bitter sweet Symphony/The Verve – cool down
So there you have it! my fun for the week. I’ve got a class on Friday night and I’ll probably change it up a bit, song wise, but I like to always have intervals, speed, and hills/strength. Isolation exercises are fun, too!
Anything you like in particular about your spin classes? music
What type of music do you like to spin to? I like anything with a good beat.